Session Title: Analyse a range of research: Visual and Factual
Analyse a range of research,Visual, Factual; this session will cover some of the following learning outcomes:
- Context and research for both year 1 and year 2
- Problem solving for year 2 (part 2 and this afternoon session)
Starter Session Art Quiz
Quick Review of our last session Reflective writing and SWOT analysis
Please download and let’s see how this documents can help us with our learning:
- Examples of reflective writing
- Questions to help reflection
- Using reflective vocabulary
Understanding the Learning Outcomes
The aim of this following exercise is to help you with defining your set targets and goals for your final project. You are going to read in team (no more than 3 per group). Download, print and read the documents below.
Based on the above:
- Can you tell which learning outcome is connected with demonstrating your ability to source, navigate, select, retrieve, evaluate, manipulate and manage information from a variety of sources? Describe what you have to do to achieve a Pass Merit and Distinction? How have you demonstrated that so far?
- Can you tell which learning outcome is connected with demonstrating your ability to articulate ideas and information comprehensibly in visual, oral and written forms? Describe what you have to do to demonstrate that.
- Can you tell which learning outcome is connected with demonstrating your ability to analyse information and experiences, formulate independent judgements, and articulate reasoned arguments through reflection, review and evaluation? How would you demonstrate that?
- Present ideas and work to audiences in a range of situations, how would you evidence that? Who is your audience for this project?
- Study independently, set goals, manage their own workloads and meet deadlines. How can you demonstrate that?
Ways to present your information
Analyse a range of research,Visual, Factual
Task 2 The list below is not organised you will need to work in teams create an organised table or info-graphic that explains to a specific audience (generation Z) the different research methods and how they can use them in their art and design project. You will need to put these research methods into categories; visual or factual.
• images/photographs from
magazines, books, leaflets,
• Work by other designers/artists
• Printed maps/diagrams
• ephemera (e.g. tickets, receipts,
• Found or bought photographs,
postcards, posters, drawings
• imagery taken from films, video,
• Museums, archives, collections
• newspapers, magazines, journal articles
• Published interviews
• Films, TV broadcasts, theater
• transcripts/recordings of film,TV, radio
• internet: blogs, websites, forums, magazines
• organizations, agencies, gatekeepers
• Lectures, public debates, conferences
• Previous knowledge/opinion/memory
• interviews: in person or by email,online chat, or phone
• Focus groups
• Commissioned video/written diaries (first hand)
• ethnographic research (“deep hanging out”)
• Media experimentation: 2D and 3D
• typographic experimentation
• Compositional experimentation
• image manipulation
• Video recording
• Audio recording
Extension: your sketchbook/log book should demonstrate your ability to make the difference between factual and visual research, make sure you have a mind map or info-graphic on the topic above.
- Y2 – Design Practice and research collect factual research for your project from books, journals, etc an find an interesting way to present them in your sketchbook or journal
- Y1 – Mini Project/Research based learning – my role will only be support
The purpose of advertising is to make an audience aware of your product/service; however charity advertising is different the aim is mainly to raise awareness or give donations for a cause.You have been asked to plan, organise a public information campaign on of the following campaign:
- Global warming
- Sport/walk every day (is good)
- Mental disorder
- Or any other topic that could be related to your theme
1 magazine insert
You need 3 formats with different visual imagery/messages but your theme should be consistent
Theme should be made in the style of
Or any other artist/style you have researched
Research there is a lot of research that needs to be evidenced in your log book:
- Print Advertising
- Here is a good start
How this above exercise will help you? Don’t ask me! Tell me!
http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/skillsforstudy/comparing-academic-sources.php Understanding the different academic sources