What you will learn; use Photoshop for video editing Basic
What you will create: a simple cinemagraph
What is cinemagraph?
Task 1: Please take some time to research cinemagraphs and their use in advertising. Your research should be clear in your sketchbook, and you should include images sketches, processes and interesting art
Task 2 Lets create a cinemagraph
- Download this footage from here
- In Photoshop click File>Open in the menu bar (Photoshop will recognize video formats):
- Play the video by selecting the play button on the timeline
- You can select and trim your video to the footage you want to keep on the timeline, no big difference with After Effects, only the timeline is a bit different. I advise you to use a very short sequence at the beginning and then try with longer footage as you gain confidence using Photoshop for cinemagraph.
- Duplicate your footage layer
- You will see your duplicated footage on the same layer in the timeline line layer, your will need to drag it above your original footage to have on its own layer in the timeline.
Now make sure that video group and layer copy are aligned on the timeline
- With the video group layer selected make a selection around the area you want to keep, because the player head moves a lot, don’t make your selection close to the edge
- With the video group layer still selected click on the layer masking icon at the bottom of the layer panel
- Hide the layer above video group and play your movie, you might need to improve your selection
- Move Layer 1 copy below the video group
- Rasterize the top layer on the layer panel. To rasterize the layer your just need to right click on the layer
- Make correction to your video group layer select, selected, click on the brush tool in the tool bar, then make sure that your foreground color is white, and select a soft brush and paint over the area you want to mask. Use black foreground if you want to unmask.
- Reduce the size of your footage
- Now clean the video with some effects, whatever you want
- Luke above mine is still very not ready for export I have a lot of manipulations to do,
- Once you finished File>save for the web, or File> Export> Export as (CC) make your animated gif file
OK Let’s do it for Advertising purpose
- Use this trend to create a cinemagraph for your final exhibition.
This should be a team project:
In an ideal situation a whole design team will be working on different things to make a cinemagraph.
- 3d (if you want)